Thursday, July 26, 2007

Quitting Smoking

Ok so I've been wanting to quit smoking for quite some time now. I seen an ad in the local newspaper about a local group hypnotherapy program coming to our town for 1 evening. It only costs $5.00 donation and yep you guessed it, it was tonight!

So my mom, my aunt and myself decided to go, why not we really wanted to quit smoking and we were only out 5 bucks if it didn't work. This program was also for weight loss so YAHH we were really in, I dont' really need to lose weight but they both wanted that part too.

So we went and it was a nice 2 hour meeting. The first 60 minutes was him talking to us explaining the idea of hypnosis and so on and he also put us into a hypnosis but not a deep hypnosis yet. We then took a 25 minute break and then proceeded into the 2nd session which took about a 1/2 hour.

This is the session where he puts you into that deep hypnosis and speaks to you about your "Disorder" which in my case is smoking! It's interesting because you don't really feel different afterwards and during it you just feel like you're sleeping although you can still hear everything he says and my eyes started fluttering, so I thought I wasn't hypnotized but then when we woke up he asked who had fluttering in the eyes and we all raised our hands. He said Good that's a good sign of hypnosis! I was like WOW.

So on the ride home normally we would've lit up as soon as we got in the vehicle and smoked at least 2 on the way home but none of us did and we all said we didn't have that craving.

Now here it is 1 1/2 hour later and I'm on the computer and I keep reaching for my cigs and lighter which aren't here. (Habit). I'm not really craving them too bad or else I would've been up to the truck stop by now and buying a pack but I really don't crave them too much. Yes I miss the habit of sitting here at my pc smoking while I'm on here BUT then I think of the money I'll save... Let's figure this up:

I smoke USA Gold Light 100's (or used to lol) they cost me $3.15 a pack. Now I normally would buy 2 packs a day so that means I would've had to been smoking almost 2 packs a day, because I would usually have some left in my pack when I went to buy more. But since I was actually spenind $6.30 a day on 2 packs then we'll use that for my example!

Ok $6.30 (2 packs a day) X 30 days = $189.00 A MONTH
$189.00 (amonth) x 12 months = $2,268.00 A YEAR
K now I've been smoking since I was 15 and I"m now 30 years old so that's 15 years of smoking and yes I realize back then cigs didn't cost as much for the packs and I haven't always smoked the same brand but we're going to estimate and say I was spening an average of $2300.00 a YEAR on Cigs

$2300.00 (A YEAR) X 15 (Years I've been smoking) = $34,500.00 in my lifetime spent on smoking!!
WOW that's a lot of money to spend on such a bad habit that isn't too safe in the first place... hmm.

So here's to quitting smoking!

5 comments:

My Gen Research said...

you'll have to have Dan run the numbers on what that can be for you if you started investing that $189. :P

JW said...

That would fantastic if you stopped. Not just for the money but, more so for your health!

Good Luck!

Michelle said...

HI Good luck on quitting smoking- I am an exsmoker myself. I quit smoking 6 or 7 years ago. I did fall off the wagon twice, though during really rough times, once for about two months and the other time for 6 weeks. My DH just quit smoking 6 weeks ago- he is using a medicine to quit. He quit at the same time I did 6 years ago- but started hanging out with smokers and smoked again for two years... so I wll be glad he quits again. Good luck- it can definately be conquered. -Michelle Smart not Cheap and One of a Kind Wisconsin

Anonymous said...

I've never smoked but have done something similar just this past month. I've cut my soda pop consumption in half and saved myself $1300 in one month. Just think if I cut it all out. Way to go SIS.

Anonymous said...

There are many aids like gums, patches and pills on the market that will help people to stop smoking. A lot of people are helped by these products, but they do not work for everyone. If you’re a smoker who has tried to quit time and time again, but have not been helped by other methods, chantix may be a welcome alternative. http://www.chantixhome.com/